Youth Mountain Bike Camps
The Pend Oreille Pedalers will offer two weeks of Mountain Bike Camps for kids aged 7-13. Spots are limited to 24 riders each week. Three adult instructors and three “junior” instructors lead three groups of eight at different venues. Spots are limited to children whose families are POP members. If you have not renewed your membership for 2020, please do so now before registering for camp!
Week 1 “Intermediate Bike Camp” July 27th – 31st
Who: For children aged 7-10 who are already capable bike riders but who have limited experience on singletrack mountain bike trails. For reference, children should already be capable of riding the narrow trails at Pine Street Woods or the singletrack at Round Lake State Park.
Where: On Monday all groups will be in Pine Street Woods. On Tuesday through Friday groups will rotate between four venues: Pine Street Woods, Section 16, Mineral Point, and Schweitzer XC trails (the final venues are subject to change based upon trail conditions and coach preferences).
When: We will meet each morning at the Sandpoint City Parking lot behind Matchwood Brewing at 8:30 am. Vans with bike trailers will transport riders to the day’s venue. Return time will vary depending on venue:
- PSW: 11:30 am return
- Schweitzer XC: 12:00 pm return
- Mineral Point: 12:30 pm return
- Section 16: 12:30 pm return
Cost: $150. Includes round trip transport, fuel, insurance, and instructors’ fees.
Week 2 “Advanced Bike Camp” August 3rd – 7th
Who: For children age 9-12 who are capable mountain bikers, comfortable on technical singletrack and able to complete long (1,000 feet +) climbs. For reference children should be comfortable riding the singletrack of Sherwood Forest / Syringa Heights, Mineral Point, or the Lower Basin XC / DH trails.
Where: On Monday all groups will be at the Schweitzer roundabout. On Tuesday through Friday groups will rotate between three venues: Schweitzer roundabout, Schweitzer Mountain Resort (lift laps), and Mineral Point (the final venues are subject to change based upon trail conditions and coach preferences).
When: We will meet each morning at the Sandpoint City Parking lot behind Matchwood Brewing at 8:30 am (except for groups riding Schweitzer Mountain Resort, whom will meet at 10 am). Vans with bike trailers will transport riders to the day’s venue. Return time will vary depending on venue:
- Roundabout: 12:30 pm return
- Schweitzer Mountain Resort: 10:00 am meeting, 2:00 pm return
- Mineral Point: 1:00 pm return
Cost: $180. Includes round trip transport to riding venue, fuel, insurance, instructors’ fees, and a lift ticket to Schweitzer Mountain Resort.
Group size: There will be three adult instructors and three “junior” instructors (who will act as sweep riders to follow each group of 8). Each coach and junior assistant will have no more than eight riders in their group. 24 total spots are available for each week.
- A well fitting mountain bike, which must be in riding condition before each day of camp (tires inflated, drivetrain shifting smoothly and well lubricated, functioning brakes, etc.) Riders in the advanced camp must have a mountain bike with at least front suspension.
- Helmets are required.
- Bike gloves and comfortable riding clothes are recommended.
- A water bottle on their bike or in a pack at all times
- A healthy snack or a sack lunch. On days when the return time is after 12:30, please pack a full sack lunch, which can be left in the van and eaten during return trip. Please feed your child a healthy breakfast before sending them to the meeting point each morning.
Intermediate Camp venues (subject to change):
- Pine Street Woods: ~3 miles of beginner singletrack + ~ 3 miles of easy wide trails. Minimal elevation gain ~250 feet. Rides will start and finish from the PSW parking lot. VIEW TRAIL DESCRIPTIONS
- Schweitzer XC: ~5 miles of intermediate singletrack + many more miles of easy wide trails. Moderate elevation gain ~500 feet. Rides will start and finish from main Schweitzer Parking Lot. VIEW TRAIL DESCRIPTIONS
- Mineral Point / Green Bay: ~6 miles of intermediate singletrack. Moderate elevation gain ~300 feet. Ride will start and finish at the Mineral Point Forest Service trailhead and will stick to the network’s upper loops. VIEW TRAIL DESCRIPTIONS
- Section 16: ~7.5 miles of beginner singletrack. Minimal elevation gain ~300 feet. Rides will start and finish from parking area off Kootenai Trail Road, 28 miles north of Sandpoint. VIEW TRAIL DESCRIPTIONS
Advanced Camp venues (subject to change):
- The roundabout: ~10 miles of intermediate/advanced singletrack. Moderate elevation gain ~800 feet. Rides will start and finish at the roundabout above the final switchback on Schweitzer Mountain Road, and may include one shuttle lap per day. VIEW TRAIL DESCRIPTIONS
- Schweitzer Mountain Resort lift laps: ~12 miles of advanced singletrack. Little or no elevation gain (lift tickets included). Rides will start and finish at the base of the Great Escape Quad. Note that the Schweitzer lift does not begin operating until 11 am so riders will meet at Matchwood at 10 am on the day they are riding SMR. VIEW TRAIL DESCRIPTIONS
- Mineral Point / Green Bay: ~8 miles of intermediate/advanced singletrack. Moderate elevation gain ~700 feet. Ride will start and finish at the Mineral Point Forest Service trailhead and will include a descent to Green Bay (with a possible dip in the lake). VIEW TRAIL DESCRIPTIONS