Youth Mountain Bike Camps
The Pend Oreille Pedalers will offer two weeks of Mountain Bike Camps for kids aged 7-12. Spots are limited to 24 riders each week. Three adult instructors and three “junior” instructors lead three groups of eight at different venues. Spots are limited to children whose families are POP members. If you have not renewed your membership for 2021, please do so now before registering for camp!
Dates: July 12-16 and July 19 – 23
Make sure you are registering for the correct week.
All participants will meet on Monday morning at 9:00 at Pine Street Woods, where they will be sorted into groups for the week by their coaches. All groups will ride in PSW and the neighboring VTT trails on Monday. On the subsequent days groups will be split between PSW, the Schweitzer Roundabout, and Schweitzer Mountain Resort.
Monday drop-off: 9:30 am in Pine Street Woods
Monday pick-up: 12 noon in Pine Street Woods
Parents will be given a schedule for the rest of the week at Monday pick-up
Who can participate
The camp is for children aged 7-12 who are already capable bike riders and who want to improve their skills riding singletrack mountain bike trails. Participants must have a well functioning, good fitting mountain bike with at least 20″ wheels.
$180 for children of POP members
This camp is only open to POP member families. If you are not a 2021 POP member and attempt to register, you will contacted and asked to join Pend Oreille Pedalers. To join or renew for 2021, click here.
- Group size: Groups are limited to 8 riders per adult. Each adult coach will have a “tail gunner,” (either a parent or an older teenage “junior coach.”)
- A well fitting mountain bike, which must be in riding condition before each day of camp (tires inflated, drivetrain shifting smoothly and well lubricated, functioning brakes, etc.) Riders in the advanced camp must have a mountain bike with at least front suspension.
- Helmets are required.
- Bike gloves and comfortable riding clothes are recommended.
- A water bottle on their bike or in a pack at all times
- A healthy snack or a sack lunch. On days when the return time is after 12:30, please pack a full sack lunch, which can be left in the van and eaten during return trip. Please feed your child a healthy breakfast before sending them to the meeting point each morning.
Camp venues (subject to change):
- Pine Street Woods / VTT: ~5 miles of beginner singletrack + ~ 3 miles of easy wide trails. Minimal elevation gain ~250 feet. Rides will start and finish from the PSW parking lot. VIEW TRAIL DESCRIPTIONS
- The Lower Basin and SRD trails: ~10 miles of intermediate/advanced singletrack. Moderate elevation gain ~800 feet. Rides will start and finish at the roundabout above the final switchback on Schweitzer Mountain Road, and may include one shuttle lap per day. VIEW TRAIL DESCRIPTIONS
- Schweitzer Mountain Resort: ~12 miles of advanced singletrack. Little or no elevation gain (lift tickets included). Rides will start and finish at the base of the Great Escape Quad. Note that the Schweitzer lift does not begin operating until 11 am so riders will meet at Matchwood at 10 am on the day they are riding SMR. VIEW TRAIL DESCRIPTIONS
Week 1 registration (July 12-16) – Opens March 28th at 9 am
Week 2 registration (July 19-23) – Opens March 28th at 9 am
Meet our coaches
POP’s youth instructors represent some of Sandpoint’s finest, most experienced, and thoughtful youth coaches in multiple sports!
- Sarah has worked as a youth outdoor expedition leader for several schools,
- Leanna, and Rose are instructors for Sandpoint Nordic Club in winter,
- Marty, well, Marty has taught more Sandpoint youth how to ski and mountain bike than just about anyone.
- Ezra and Dave teach high school art and middle school math, respectively, and have worked with youth in the outdoors for decades between them.
This quality crew will guarantee your kids will both improve their skills and have a total blast charging the local trails this summer!